Alan Richardson: REST API Testing and Automating Tutorial
Time: Tuesday 19.9.2017 (9:00 - 17:00, registration and morning coffee at 8:30)
Venue: Hotel Presidentti, Eteläinen Rautatiekatu 4, Helsinki (room: Kaarlo, 3rd floor). More information on the venue here.
Prices: Click Register now! to register and see the prices.
Web based applications often offer more than a GUI to interact with, very often they have an API layer. This layer clearly needs testing and we can use it to support our other testing efforts - GUI, performance, etc. In this tutorial we will work with several applications to learn the basics of automating and testing REST APIs.
You will learn:
- Basics of REST Web Services
- What tools we can use to interact with REST APIs
- How we can use REST APIs in our testing
- How to test a REST API
- Multiple ways to automate REST Web Service APIs
- Abstraction layers for automating REST APIs
You will gain hands on experience with:
- Exploratory Testing REST APIs
- Using different tools to interact with a REST API
- Automating a REST API
This tutorial uses a mix of presentation, demos, discussion and hands on exercises to create an immersive and fast paced interactive day of learning.
Requirements to attend workshop:
- You will need a laptop to take part
- Wifi connection
- You will need the ability to install software on to your laptop
- During the workshop we will use REST Client and an HTTP Proxy
- REST Client Postman (https://www.getpostman.com/)
- An HTTP Proxy: Fiddler or Charles or ZAP Proxy
- if you want to be up and running quickly then install Postman, and one of the proxy tools prior to the workshop
- Some sample applications are written in Java 1.8 these will only work if you have Java 1.8 (or higher) installed (run `java -version`)
- There is an optional hands on coding section where examples will be provided using Java - if you would like to extend the automated code samples then install Java JDK version 1.8 or above and a Java IDE (recommended IntelliJ) - you do not need to be able to code to take part in the workshop